Monday, March 1, 2010

The Scare- Part 1

Disclaimer: If you're looking for insights on hearing loss, this is not the post to read. However, if you're looking for insights of a freshman girl, who just happens to have hearing loss, and to hear about one really eventful day, you might be interested in reading this. This is completely true, and occurred this morning.

Along with the other 99% of the world, I hate Monday mornings. And this one was no exception. It wasn't a particularly bad morning, though. I'd just left orchestra after a pretty entertaining rehearsal, and was now in my 2nd period class.

We were working on group projects, so our class met in the library. Upon the ringing of the tardy bell, I noticed the absence of one of our group members, who I'll call Jill. I didn't think much of it, until she walked in late and whispered something to the teacher. She then dashed over to another member of our group, who I'll call Sara, and began whispering into her ear. I watched as the smile she was wearing collapsed, and the color quickly drained from her face. There was a look that couldn't be described as anything other than sheer panic. I watched her discreely pull out her phone and start frantically texting.

No sooner had the girl arrived to the library, then an administrator came and took Jill out of class. I wasn't particularly concerned. She probably caught someone cheating, or saw someone doing drugs. Sure, it's not something I'd ever do, but it's an everyday occurrence at my school, and probably most other public high schools. I then watched Sara walk over to our teacher, who was sitting just a few computers away from us. They talked for a good 5 minutes, and I tried my darndest to lipread. I couldn't get anything.
I noticed the other members of our group starting to float towards the teacher and eavesdropping on the conversation. They then began to say their own two cents, so I figured it wasn't a private conversation anymore. Jill became back, and was talking to them too. I inched my chair towards them.
"I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably just a rumor. People say things they don't mean all of the time." I heard my teacher say.
"Wait... What's a rumor?!" I asked, desperate to hear the latest gossip.

My group and teacher looked at me, but no one spoke.
"Would anyone like to share this information with me?" I said, half kidding.
Jill finally spoke up. "Someone told me that there's going to be a shooting today."

A shooting. That certainly didn't happen everyday. My mind was suddenly inundated with a million thoughts., and I began to notice the frightened looks on many of my classmates' faces.

To be continued..

1 comment:

  1. I love your new cute look for spring! WOW!! SCARY NEWS!!! I'm glad someone finally let you in on it! Stay Safe Sweet Lam.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are screened before approval. I will publish any comment as long as you keep it clean and it's not spam!